June 15, 2022 – To say that Creative Destruction Lab’s (CDL) achievements this year were unexpected doesn’t quite cover it.
The non-profit program for seed-stage, science and tech-based startups was launched in 2012 with the goal of facilitating $50 million (CAD) in equity value creation over five years. This year, the value created by participating ventures has exceeded $20 billion. CDL also announced a new site launch in Tartu, Estonia, which is set to accept its first cohort of companies in October 2022 for a new program year; launched several new streams including Manufacturing, Compute, Digital Society, and Web3; announced a first-of-its-kind partnership with the Canadian Cancer Society; and after shifting to an entirely online model, sites began the return to in-person programming.
CDL will finish the year with a virtual gathering of the community across 10 locations in 4 countries (Canada, US, UK, and France). From June 22 to 23, 210 graduating ventures will meet for CDL Super Session to showcase their breakthroughs, finalize early-stage investment and network with top technical and business talent.
In addition to tremendous support from CDL Partners across all current 11 sites, CDL is proud to announce Takeda as a contributing Partner for Super Session 2022. Takeda is a values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical leader, committed to discovering and delivering life-transforming treatments.
CDL Super Session 2022 will feature a wide range of talent from diverse fields around the world. Companies from ten CDL sites — Toronto, Oxford, Paris, Atlanta, Wisconsin, Atlantic, Montreal, Rockies, Seattle, and Vancouver — will be there. Every stream from the 2021/22 Program Year will be represented by a featured venture graduate, including companies from CDL’s focus in Health, AI, Quantum, Matter, Oceans, Space, Prime (the general technology stream), Climate, Energy, Agriculture, Risk, Commerce, Supply Chain and Blockchain.
Participants will be briefed by top industry leaders:
- Patrick Elliott, COO and Co-Founder at Carbon Alpha; involved in developing, acquiring, and managing natural resource assets and teams for more than 27 years.
- Neil Cameron, Partner at Emerald Technology Ventures Inc; expert in advanced materials.
- Anne Robinson, Chief Strategy Officer at Kinaxis; a leader in analytics and digital transformation, with expertise in operations, supply chain, and strategy.
- Jim Baker, President Agri-Food at Cultura Technologies (Volaris Group); oversees a portfolio of 20 vertical market software companies in the Agri-Food sector for Volaris Group.
- Magali Anderson, Chief Sustainability Officer at LafargeHolcim with 27 years of experience in the Oil and Gas industry.
- Justin Manley, Managing Director at Just Innovation; a recognized leader in unmanned systems development and operations.
- JP James, Chairman & Lead Investor at Hive Financial Systems, author and lecturer.
- Rhiannon Davies, Managing Partner at Sandpiper Ventures and advocate for diversity in the early-stage entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Chris Hadfield, Former Commander of the International Space Station, engineer, pilot, and internationally best-selling author.
- Shefali Roy, Investor and Former Chief Operating Officer and Chief Compliance Officer at TrueLayer and named on Innovate Finance’s Most Powerful Women in FinTech List.
- Ethan Buchman, Co-founder of Cosmos and CEO at Informal Systems.
- Andrea Keenan, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer at AM Best Rating Services.
- Christophe Jurczak, Partner at Quantonation, the first early-stage venture fund dedicated to Deep Physics startups.
- Paul Kruszewski, VP AI Strategy at Hinge Health Inc.
- Shwetak Patel, WRF Endowed Professor at UW, and Director of Health Technologies at Google
- John Neis, Managing Director at Venture Investors LLC with extensive experience as a director of portfolio companies.
- George Savage, Managing Director at Spring Ridge Ventures. Dr. Savage pioneered catheter-based minimally-invasive surgery inside the heart.
- Tony de Fougerolles, CEO at Evox Therapeutics and inventor on over 100 issued U.S. patents.
- Shivon Zilis, Project Director, Office of the CEO at Neuralink and prvious partner and founding member of Bloomberg Beta.
Featured Venture Graduates across the CDL locations include:
- Avalo (CDL-Rockies, Ag)
- belive.ai (CDL-Atlanta, Commerce)
- Bioweg (CDL-Paris, Climate)
- Child Health Imprints (CDL-Wisconsin, Health & Wellness)
- Hypervision Surgical (CDL-Oxford, Health)
- iink Payments (CDL-Wisconsin, Risk)
- IronSight (CDL-Rockies, Energy)
- Lios (CDL-Toronto, Matter)
- Lunar Outpost (CDL-Toronto, Space)
- Lux Aerobot (CDL-Montreal, AI)
- NovaResp Technologies (CDL-Atlantic, Prime)
- Origin Health (CDL-Seattle, Computational Health)
- PemPem (CDL-Montreal, Supply Chain)
- PERCS (CDL-Toronto, Blockchain)
- PlanQC (CDL-Toronto, Quantum)
- Proton Intelligence (CDL-Vancouver, Health)
- Psyonic (CDL-Toronto, Neuro)
- Wittaya Aqua International (CDL-Atlantic, Oceans)
CDL Super Session 2022 is all about two days of learning, discussion and celebration, after concluding its 10th program year.
If you are interested in observing CDL Super Session, please reach out at email@example.com and someone from the CDL team will follow-up within 24 hours.
Associate Director, Creative Destruction Lab